Tips from the Electrician

plugAlways look for licensed contractors when hiring people to service your home or business. Be sure they are insured. Last but not least, references speak volumes about a company's reputation.

 

Electrical Safety

A Guide to Household Electricity Hazards

Electricity is a power source we rely on, day after day. This essential component of our homes, however, poses a hazard -- electrical shock.

While most of us take electricity for granted, because it can't be seen or smelled, coming in contact with electricity can be dangerous and even deadly. Electrical shocks can knock you unconscious, cause deep tissue burns, and stop your breathing and heartbeat. Take the proper precautions with electricity, and you will reap the benefits without the dangers.

Put safety plugs over all electrical outlets to prevent children from sticking screwdrivers, nails, pins, or other metal objects into them.

Never use electrical appliances such as radios or hair dryers near a filled bathtub or sink. They could fall in and electrocute someone.

Never touch anything electrical with wet hands or while standing in water.

Don't run extension cords under the rug or carpet. The wires can quickly become frayed or broken from people walking on them, causing shocks and fires.

Always turn off the circuit breaker before changing a light bulb that has broken off from its base or before making any electrical repairs.

Do not talk on the phone, take a bath, or use electric appliances during a lightning storm. The electrical charge can come in through the water pipes or telephone wires.

Never touch someone who has been electrocuted without first shutting off the power source or moving them away from it with a nonmetal object, such as a wooden broom handle. The current could pass through the individual's body and shock you.